Re: rosegarden, no sound

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:56:02 +0200
Nicos Gollan <gtdev@spearhead.de> wrote:

> You might also want to have a look at Timidity which can be used as a normal
> sequencer device, but it also burns CPU cycles like mad.

I've been able to get Rosegarden to work with timidity, but everything
sounds like a piano :).

I did some provisional searching of the archives and ran across a post
from May suggesting that if I don't have a real hardware synth
connected to the sound card I would run into trouble. But my sound card
has an MPU-401 (SB Live Value) and some form of midi synth has been
supported by Soundblaster cards for as long as I can remember.

Here's what pmidi says:

 Port     Client name                       Port name
 64:0     EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)            EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
 65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
 65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
 65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
 65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3

I admit being a little closer - at least I can have Rosegarden report
that sound is OK, but still nothing comes out the speakers. BTW, last
time I experimented with midi and Linux stuff (other than attempting to
get it working with the current sound card) was with an older rev of
Mandrake.

> You'll also need a patch set or soundfont, sources are somewhere on this list,
> but your soundcard's driver CD should have some on it.

I've managed to get that stuff as well.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.