rosegarden, no sound

I've benn looking on and off at rosegarden, and the most recent
version looks very polished for a midi app. On the downside, I can't
get any sound out of it, and other apps play fine. I'm pretty sure midi
did work on my system, but it's been a long time. The last time I tried
this, I was using Mandrake 9.2 & 10.0, and I basically gave up -- the
best I was able to accomplish then was to use timidity++ and have the
midi translated to wav on the fly, in order to get any sound to come
out.

After configuring rosegarden4 it seems to think the midi device can do
sound, but nothing comes out, despite playing with the kmix sliders to
no avail.

This is on a (mostly) sarge system, kde 3.4.1, using jackd/alsa as the
software suggests, after using sfxload to load a basic sound font into
the sound card, which is EMU10K1 based - SB Live value.

Any ideas on where to look?

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.