Re: aptitude synaptic gnome to be removed?

Jules Dubois <0v63ukx02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> 'apt-get upgrade' is restricted (and therefore safer) in that:
>
>    under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or
>    packages not already installed retrieved and installed.
>
> This isn't sufficient for 'unstable', as both of the package-state changes
> above are required regularly.

RTFM (release notes, actually) tells me that I should use dist-upgrade
when switching distros, but RTFM (that I could find) does not tell me
when to use dist-upgrade when not switching distros.

How does one know when to use dist-upgrade? Is there an announcement
email somewhere? Does aptitude give some sort of a sign (that I'm
missing)? Is this something that you just run regularly?

If this is something you run regularly on unstable, then I suppose one
should also run it regularly on testing. Right? In that case, I should
probably run it on my testing systems, eh? Since I had never run
dist-upgrade during the entire sarge lifecycle, this should be
interesting...

Thanks.