Re: ntfs access on debian

On Sunday 03 Jul 2005 22:49, Leonardo Sá wrote:
> I want to have a partition to access both on winxp and debian, however, i
> want it to be easy to use on both OSes. What I did was to format a NTFS
> partition, which i successfully mounted on winxp on the "my documents"
> folder, and I was planning to mount the same partition under "/home/user".
> However, is it safe to enable write access to ntfs partitions on linux? If
> not, is there any other better alternatives?

vfat would be simpler.  There used to be a filesystem for Windows that let you
use ext2 partitions, but I don't know if that has been kept up to date
(either with linux's ext2 drivers and tools, or with new versions of

You might want to consider just running windows in a virtual machine inside
Linux.  That way it could access your Linux filesystem in a limited way that
you specify, or network via Samba.

Samba would also be an option if you had a second machine to run the windows
instance on, but I'm guessing you don't.

There are probably a number of other options that I can't think of right
now :)

Lee Braiden