Re: Fakeraid vs softwareraid? (was Promise FastTrak100 on Sarge install?)

On (01/07/05 00:38), Roman Muñoz wrote:
> > This reminds me of the problems I had setting up a server recently
> > which had the dreaded Promise FastTrak100 interface on the
> > motherboard.
>
> Wow. On woody it works _fine_.
>
> So sarge is finally here to kick off my fakeraid card? (purchased as
> "true" hardware raid) No very good news. At least I see that software
> raid is on d-i. I did set some pure software raids on woody. I think it
> will be a lot easier now. What do you think about fakeraid vs pure
> software raid performance?.

Hi Roman

Not something I've ever investigated.  There's been quite a lot of
discussion on the list on quasi (cheap) hardware raid cards.  My
impression is that software raid has a number of advantages.  I just had
a quick google for the threads but without success; someone else may be
able to supply better info.

Regards

Clive

--