Re: xmms skips all files

Francisco Borges wrote:

>» On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:30:47AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
>

>>I think mayhaps you misunderstood me. I didn't mean for you to try a
>>different player; I meant for you to try a different (simpler) windowing
>>environment than KDE or Gnome. The simpler environments don't have the
>>sound daemons that KDE and Gnome use, which might be interfering.
>>

>No I hadn't ;-)
>
>logging out is not something I'm willing to do [*],

I can understand that, since you've got long-running processing happening.

>BTW I'm running KDE
>here I just meant to tell you that I'm sure artsd is suspended nicely
>and is not blocking the way.

This, I'm not so sure of. I've seen some odd stuff with xmms in relation
to sound daemons. I'm sure there's some logical pattern to it, but I've
never been able to entirely discern it. Thus my recommendation to
simplify your environment. Since you can't currently do that at the
moment, I'm not convinced that you'll readily find the solution, but
that's just based on my limited experience, not on any real knowledge.

>For instance Mplayer works, mpg123 works in the console as well and if I
>use this KDE thingy to tell me the state of artsd it will say
>"suspended".

Again, it's been my experience that just because one player works, that
doesn't mean another will. I've particularly had difficulty getting
multiple players to play when one of those is xmms, and particularly
when in KDE which tries to keep a sound daemon running.

--
Kent West
Technology Support