Re: Dialer Problems-Only Pon Works

Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:

I'm having some of the same issues that Leonard has. The wvdial doesn't appear to work on 2.6 kernels. I've scripted the tests as high as kernel 2.6.12. It seems that the connection is immediately lost with only 0.0 or 0.1 minutes connection time reported.

I am going to use scanModem as he did to see if changing modems from my external Hayes to the internal one will work. Also, the pppd (I think) seems to randomly dial up the ISP. I've gotten errors 1 and 16 on different occasions from the pppd daemon as documented in man pppd. The program wvdial (and version, 54 something, I'm doing this off the top of the head from work.), same version as Len's, works just fine on kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 (the one available in woody).

	My box is a Gateway 500 upgraded from woody to sarge.

I'll try to post more information when I get home especially in response to questions. Some of this is a 'work in progrss' so I don't have some of the answers (actually many!). I have yet to try out a script in kppp to see if that works. Both Len and I probably run KDE 3.3 from sarge.

Hello Gayle,
Kent West just fixed my wvdial by having me purge/reinstall wvdial.  I had
no dialout group in wvdial.conf only root. Looks like another faultly install. The reinstall fixed it for me including being able to run it as user. Wvdial definately works on 2.6.* kernels. However, your problem is slightly different
from mine as mine never connected at all.  Are you using demand dialing in
provider or pppd config.  This may account for the random access by wvdial
or pppd. It does look like you may have pppd configuration issues and a purge/ reinstall may cure it. In many cases it has for me. I'm no expert, of course, and don't fully understand the pppd error messages, but I do remember getting message nos. 0 and 1 when I first setup kppp. I fixed it when I discovered kppp.options in /etc/ppp, I think, and it had only one entry "noauth" commented out. Uncomenting it fixed it. Go ahead and get your onboard modem working if its supported, but I don't think it will fix wvdial. It's got to be a bad install like mine or a config issue. I'd try purge/reinstall first on wvdial and then on ppp or pppd if wvdial alone didn't fix things. It can't hurt and if your lucky may fix it all. Good luck. One thing I learned, I think, is that the default configurations usually work right out if the box if the original install wasn't faulty and a purge/reinstall generally
will fix a faulty initial install.
Leonard