Re: mdadm: raid not working after stop/reboot

Hi Mike;

and, at first, thanks loads for your mail.

michael@etalon.net schrieb:

> I found it easier not use the mdadm.conf file at all. I simply deleted
> it.
> However, without it, your partitions and/or disks that are going to be
> used in your raid array must be fdisk'd to type "fd" or Linux Raid
> autodetect.

Yeah, I read about this and did this,all partitions to be used within
the array are type "FD". Even though this doesn't seem to change anything.

> Then create your array, format it, mount it, set it in /etc/fstab and
> reboot.
> It should work. Perhaps give us some details of your /proc/mdstat or
> try hunting through dmesg to see if there any errors when the array is
> trying to be built upon a boot up.

I'm hardly able to do any diagnostics on that since the information I
get is pretty limited. Basically, I created the array, xfs-formatted it,
put it into fstab and mounted it - worked well. Umounting, remounting
and everything worked as long as the array was running. After rebooting,
the array seemed gone. I don't get any useful error messages, just an
"XFS SB error" when trying to mount the array (which is not running at
this time), and when I try to start the array (mdadm -R /dev/md0), I
just get something like "/dev/md0 has no devices" (though the real
behaviour and message changes differing with the kernel version used).

Cheers,
Kris

--
Kristian Rink 	-- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden