Re: mdadm: raid not working after stop/reboot

Quoting Kristian Rink <krink@pm-planc.de>:

Hi Mike;

and, at first, thanks loads for your mail.

michael@etalon.net schrieb:

I found it easier not use the mdadm.conf file at all. I simply deleted
it.
However, without it, your partitions and/or disks that are going to be
used in your raid array must be fdisk'd to type "fd" or Linux Raid
autodetect.

Yeah, I read about this and did this,all partitions to be used within
the array are type "FD". Even though this doesn't seem to change anything.

Then create your array, format it, mount it, set it in /etc/fstab and
reboot.
It should work. Perhaps give us some details of your /proc/mdstat or
try hunting through dmesg to see if there any errors when the array is
trying to be built upon a boot up.

I'm hardly able to do any diagnostics on that since the information I
get is pretty limited. Basically, I created the array, xfs-formatted it,
put it into fstab and mounted it - worked well. Umounting, remounting
and everything worked as long as the array was running. After rebooting,
the array seemed gone. I don't get any useful error messages, just an
"XFS SB error" when trying to mount the array (which is not running at
this time), and when I try to start the array (mdadm -R /dev/md0), I
just get something like "/dev/md0 has no devices" (though the real
behaviour and message changes differing with the kernel version used).

Have you tried zeroing all the superblocks before you create a new array?
You could even try to dpkg-reconfigure mdadm as well.
What command did you use to build the array? (just curious)
Even without formating it, the array should come up and be syncing
itself after a reboot.

--- Sent via IMP