mdadm: raid not working after stop/reboot

Hi all;

while migrating our mail machine, I am currently learning how to work
with the new raidtools package based upon mdadm instead of mkraid, and
currently I'm feeling a little helpless about this. Situations:

* I created a RAID-5 array using mdadm --create, which, so far, worked well.
* I'm able to create a filesystem on the newly-built RAID array - fine,
as well.

Anyhow, the very moment I am about to reboot or even just to stop the
array using mdadm -S, I'm not at all able to get it running again. I
spent most of this early morning playing around with various versions of
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf, deleted and recreated the RAID several times, but
am not really moving ahead. Can anyone enlighten me what might be wrong?

Configuration:
* aic7xxx - compliant SCSI controller
* 4x SCSI hard drive
* RAID array just for /home not /
* /etc/init.d/mdadm-raid is started and running

TIA and bye,
Kris

--
Kristian Rink 	-- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden