Re: Re: MythTV

You'll need the frontend software for the TV sets. There is software to
turn an XBox into a Myth Frontend so you could use that. But basically,
you need something with a tv-out. Since it will be doing the decoding,
you might need some meaty power. As I said before, HDTV will need at
least 2.8Ghz, "normal" TV will be a lot less (see the MythTV docs). If
you've got something with a hardware decoder (like a PVR-350) then even
less CPU will be needed (assuming you're only using the MythTV playback
and not general X apps).

I just got my pchdtv hd_3000 card to record to disk about an hour ago.  Recording doesn't seem to take up much CPU as the HDTV signal comes over the air mpeg ts encoded.  Playback is another matter.   I have an 1800 mhz P4, and it can play back the lower resolution digital without any problems full screen.  The 1080i stream will play back as long as I don't try to scale it, but I don't have a monitor capable of handling the full resolution connected to it at the moment so I don't know if my poor slow computer can handle it if it doesn't have to scale.  Oh, and I don't have sound working yet so there is the possibility of that being the straw that breaks the camels back.  Oh, and I should mention that I have one of the radeons with open source support for hardware acceleration, and that may be helping me a lot to make it possible with the speed of my CPU.  You can play back the recorded files with a stock copy of xine from sarge.  There is a test sample at pchdtv.com in the downloads.