Re: Re: MythTV

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 07:04 -0400, disciple wrote:
> Thanks a ton everyone.  This puts me in the right direction.  It seems
> easy enough based on what you folks have said.  I'm still relatively new
> to Debian, but learning everyday.  MythTV is my project for the
> summer... :o)  ...  This is going to be so cool....  It looks like I'll
> need to get a new box and put about 4 tuner cards in it.  Here's another
> question:

4 tuner cards, that will rock! Just a word of caution though: tuner
cards seem (in my experience) to get VERY hot. If you're putting 4 into
one box, which will live in closet, you might have some trouble because
of poor airflow. On top of the tuner cards, you'll have at least 1
harddrive generating heat, then there's the CPU etc. Just something to
bear in mind. It obviously depends on the case you get, the room
temperature, which tuners you get, etc etc. You just need to experiment
as nobody will have exactly the same setup as you.

> If I set up a Myth server, say in a closet somewhere, what equipment
> will I need at the TV sets?

You'll need the frontend software for the TV sets. There is software to
turn an XBox into a Myth Frontend so you could use that. But basically,
you need something with a tv-out. Since it will be doing the decoding,
you might need some meaty power. As I said before, HDTV will need at
least 2.8Ghz, "normal" TV will be a lot less (see the MythTV docs). If
you've got something with a hardware decoder (like a PVR-350) then even
less CPU will be needed (assuming you're only using the MythTV playback
and not general X apps).

Good luck anyway. You'll love it.