Re: Upgrading from mysql 4.0 to mysql 4.1

stud rocket wrote:

>On 6/28/05, Adam Majer <adamm@zombino.com> wrote:
>

>>1. Backup all databases. `man mysqldump` will help you here
>>

>Definitely.  I was also planning to just backup the binary db files in
>hopes I can just drop them into MySQL 4.1.

The reason that the two conflict is because both servers seem to use the
same directory for its database repository (/var/lib/mysql). I know that
I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 just with `apt-get install mysql-server-4.1`
and I didn't have to move anything.

But you always want to have some sort of a text backup so you can
restore the database if the binaries get screwed somehow.

>>2. Upgrade to 4.1
>>3. Purge 4.0 (a little while back this step used to remove the databases
>>for 4.1 as well, but it should be fixed now).
>>

>Can I switch steps 2 & 3?  Synaptic wants to Remove 4.0 before installing 4.1.

You might not want to do that. If you selected an option to remove the
database on purge, then the purge will remove your database. The purge
after an upgrade *should* leave your database intact.

>>4. You may need to run /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. On second
>>though, you probably should run that script :)
>>

>That's the sort of information I wanted to know about!  Thanks!  I
>tried finding documentation on how to do this upgrade, but no one else
>in Debian-land seems to care much about the difference between
>4.0/4.1.
>
>Thanks again for the help!

No problem. I guess people don't care much after differences between 4.0
and 4.1 because those that do care generally tend to use PostgreSQL (I
use PostgreSQL 8.0 almost exclusively now). Right now MySQL 5.0 is in
beta (I think it is out of alpha now), so Sid/Etch might be seeing MySQL
5.0 by end of the year. When you upgrade to 5.0, the upgrade process
will probably be the same, including the run of
mysql_fix_privilege_tables script.

- Adam

PS. Many people forget to run the mysql_fix_privilege_tables after
upgrading MySQL and end up running MySQL 3.23.49 privilege tables with
MySQL 4.1.x. Then they complain that mysql-admin, or mysql-query-browser
is not running properly.