svc: bad direction 268435456, dropping request

I keep getting the following message showing up on my root consoles:

> svc: bad direction 268435456, dropping request

It's been a nuisance during upgrade, because when aptitude decides to
ask me a configuration question while I'm eating dinner, sometimes
the question is hopelessly obscured by the time I have to answer it.
I can only hope the question wasn't really important and press return.
(sometimes control-L helps.  Sometimes not).

What is svc?
What piece of the system emits this?
What kind of requests are being processed?
Is it a problem I can fix?
Or should I just find a way of redirecting
the message to a safer place?
I'm using kernel vmlinuz-2.4.16-586.  Would a newer kernel help?

I googled, and found several discussions that seemed to ask
nore thatn answer.  The only ultimate cause I found rumoured
as a possibility as a LAN with duplicate IP numbers.  I don't
have that problem.