Howto find and remove unused libraries?

How can I find libraries etc that were installed as dependencies, but which currently have no "dependants" installed? IE the package that caused apt to install them isn't installed anymore.

I've been apt-getting and removing packages on my system for the last 4 years. And I suspect there is a lot of unused crud. For future reference is there a better way to remove packages so the unused dependencies are also removed? Is "dpkg -P" equivalent to "apt-get remove"?

Thanks,
fraz