Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Kent West wrote:

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Sorry again.  After I emailed my response, I realized I for got to run
lilo.  So ran it and got this error:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# lilo
Fatal: Image name, label, or alias is too long: 'Linux-2.4.27-2-386'
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#

So, I shortened the label to Linux-2.4.27 and ran lilo again with:
ChatagnierL-Home:/# /sbin/lilo
Added Linux-2.4.27 (alias 1)
Added LinuxOLD (alias 2)
Fatal: Default image doesn't exist.

Ah. I didn't notice this earlier. According to your "/etc/lilo.conf" file:

default=Linux

but you don't have any labels by that name:

image=/vmlinuz
     label=Linux2.4.27-2-386
     initrd=initrd.img	(Note: there is a link in / to the actual /boot/initrd.img/sarge.img so it should work)
     root=/dev/hda1
     read-only
#       restricted
     alias=1

image=/vmlinuz.old
     label=LinuxOLD
     read-only
     optional
#       restricted
     alias=2

You need to either set default="Linux2.4.27-2-386", or you need to
change the label in your first stanza so it looks like:

image=/vmlinuz
     label=Linux
     initrd=initrd.img	(Note: there is a link in / to the actual /boot/initrd.img/sarge.img so it should work)
     root=/dev/hda1
     read-only
#       restricted
     alias=1

By the way, if you really have a 386 machine, this kernel is fine, but if you have a Pentium or Athlon, there are some variants ("-686" and "-k7" respectively) that are better tuned for your CPU.

Well, I forgot to run lilo before rebooting.  Just woke up from a nap,
blame it on that.  However, after lilo and
rebooting got this:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# lilo
Fatal: Image name, label, or alias is too long: 'Linux-2.4.27-2-386'
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
So, maybe lilo doesn't like long names; maybe just linux.  Tried that
and ran lilo.  Lilo completed without error
and rebooted again.  Presto, the 2.4.27-2-386 kernel booted.  Ran uname
-a just to be sure as I'm feeling a little
accident prone now.  Looks like lilo will only accept default=Linux,
period.  BTW, I looked real close at default=
and label= checking that the . and - were all in the same places.  The
two were identical.
Thanks, Kent for your patience with me.  I'm going to relax for a while
before updrading to a 2.6.8 Kernel as the
dist-upgrade forced this kernel on me.  I feel a little stupid, but what
the heck, debconf and lilo did it first. Well, guess what. Pon and wvdial are not working in sarge. This email via woody. Thanks again for
your help

Leonard