Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Sorry again.  After I emailed my response, I realized I for got to run
> lilo.  So ran it and got this error:
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# lilo
> Fatal: Image name, label, or alias is too long: 'Linux-2.4.27-2-386'
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
>
> So, I shortened the label to Linux-2.4.27 and ran lilo again with:
> ChatagnierL-Home:/# /sbin/lilo
> Added Linux-2.4.27 (alias 1)
> Added LinuxOLD (alias 2)
> Fatal: Default image doesn't exist.

Ah. I didn't notice this earlier. According to your "/etc/lilo.conf" file:

>default=Linux

but you don't have any labels by that name:

>image=/vmlinuz
>       label=Linux2.4.27-2-386
>       initrd=initrd.img	(Note: there is a link in / to the actual /boot/initrd.img/sarge.img so it should work)
>       root=/dev/hda1
>       read-only
>#       restricted
>       alias=1
>

>image=/vmlinuz.old
>       label=LinuxOLD
>       read-only
>       optional
>#       restricted
>       alias=2

You need to either set default="Linux2.4.27-2-386", or you need to
change the label in your first stanza so it looks like:

>image=/vmlinuz
>       label=Linux
>       initrd=initrd.img	(Note: there is a link in / to the actual /boot/initrd.img/sarge.img so it should work)
>       root=/dev/hda1
>       read-only
>#       restricted
>       alias=1

By the way, if you really have a 386 machine, this kernel is fine, but if you have a Pentium or Athlon, there are some variants ("-686" and "-k7" respectively) that are better tuned for your CPU.

--
Kent