dvd playback problems - dma, udev, 2.6 kernel

I'm trying to get DVD playback working on my Sid system
running on an Epia MII mobo.  After a recent upgrade from a
2.4 kernel to the 2.6.11 stock kernel, I lost my dvd & cdrom
drive. By installing udev and hotplug, I was able to get the
drive to appear and have even managed to get Xine to play
unencrypted DVDs.

When I attempt playback of encrypted DVDs, Xine complains
about "Error cracking CSS key...". Since libdvdcss2 and all
the related packages are installed, I suspect there is a
performance issue?

 Running xine-check shows all is  fine except for the DMA
settings. This complains that DMA
is likely to be disabled because of ide-scsi.

Enabling DMA  with hdparm -d1 /dev/scd0 fails.How do I remove
ide-scsi, or is there a way to set the DMA  using the udev
rules?  Udev is new to me, should I be using it at all?

Thanks for any assistance.

Branden