Re: dvd playback problems - dma, udev, 2.6 kernel

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 05:25:54PM -0700, John@ukfsn.org wrote:
> Not sure how to disable ide-scsi using udev, but you can do a
> modprobe ide-cd
> and/or add it to /etc/modules, removing ide-scsi, then update
> /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst as necessary.
>
> John
>

> Branden Faulls writes:
>
> >I'm trying to get DVD playback working on my Sid system
> >running on an Epia MII mobo.  After a recent upgrade from a
> >2.4 kernel to the 2.6.11 stock kernel, I lost my dvd & cdrom
> >drive. By installing udev and hotplug, I was able to get the
> >drive to appear and have even managed to get Xine to play
> >unencrypted DVDs.
> >
> >When I attempt playback of encrypted DVDs, Xine complains
> >about "Error cracking CSS key...". Since libdvdcss2 and all
> >the related packages are installed, I suspect there is a
> >performance issue?
> >
> > Running xine-check shows all is  fine except for the DMA
> >settings. This complains that DMA
> >is likely to be disabled because of ide-scsi.
> >

> >Enabling DMA  with hdparm -d1 /dev/scd0 fails.How do I remove
> >ide-scsi, or is there a way to set the DMA  using the udev
> >rules?  Udev is new to me, should I be using it at all?
> >
> >Thanks for any assistance.
> >
> >Branden

Removing ide_scsi from my /etc/modules and doing a quick
reboot has removed the DMA problem for the DVD drive. But
still having DVD playback problems.

Unencrypted DVDs still play fine, but playback of commercial
DVDs gives me lots of libdvdread complaints about not being
able to crack the css.

Furthermore /var/log/messages is full of:

hdc:command error: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete
Error}
hdc: command error: error=0x54{AbortedCommand
LastFailedSense=0x05}

I'm googling like a madman, but not sure what to look for
now.  Never had a problem with DVD on my other systems, so
I'm suspecting a compatibility problem with either the Epia
MII motherboard or the slot loading DVD drive.

Any other thoughts?

Branden