Re: Good backup software for Linux

On Jun 21 2005, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> One way---though it may not be entirely user friendly---would be to
> create some directories. Copy the wanted files to those
> directories. Check with 'du -h --max-depth=1' how big those
> directories have become. When the directories are too big you move
> some files to another dir.

The problem with this way of doing things is that it assumes that all files
have sizes that are at most as big as the media on which they will be
written.

But some movies don't fit in a CD and you have to "cut it". I would like to
find an application that allowed me doing just that: specify the tree that
I want to be backed up and be done with it, just swapping CD-RW media, for
instance.

Otherwise, if we don't cut the files, then the bin-packing problem is NP-hard
(even though it has approximation algorithms with good approximation
ratios).

Thanks anyway, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/