Re: Good backup software for Linux

Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> writes:

>> Such will be the case when backing up RDBMS dumps and log files.
>
> I like LVM snapshots for this purpose.
>
> For MySQL in particular you can also run replication to a slave for
> backup purposes, but I like the LVM snapshot approach as it works
> for anything.

Yes, but if you restore that particular snapshot (after your disk crash or
onto a different machine), it doesn't necessarily mean that MySQL would
know what to do with it? Yoou need to bring your DB to some consistent
state (some checkpoint or similar) before creating a snapshot that you want
to backup (and restore meaningfully afterwards).

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer