Re: Good backup software for Linux

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:17:14AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> All this backup talk got me thinking: what do you guys recommend for
> backing up workstations with CDs/DVDs for a luser, especially when backing
> up large amounts of data (say, movie and music files) that may not fit into
> one CD/DVD?

One way---though it may not be entirely user friendly---would be to
create some directories. Copy the wanted files to those
directories. Check with 'du -h --max-depth=1' how big those
directories have become. When the directories are too big you move
some files to another dir.

When you are satisfied you make an iso file for each of those
directories:

mkisofs -o outputfile.iso directoryname

Then burn the cd image file outputfile.iso to cd with cdrecord or
maybe k3b or some other burning frontend.

You may need to add some more options to mkisofs if the resulting cds
give problems like shortened names or something.

You may need a different program to handle dvds. I don't have those so
I don't know.

Graphical programs like k3b might make all this a bit easier and guide
you through the process. It's probably worth a shot.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse