mount file share in cron

I have set up a backup job that will mount a share, perform the backup and
then umount the share.  This works fine as root.  When I schedule the job in
cron however, the backup always fails because the mount never occurs.  If I
manually mount and then run the backup job in root it is successful.  For
various reasons I don't want to leave the mounts permanent.

OS Data you might need:
OS: Debian 3.1 r0
Kernel: 2.6.11.12 w/ CIFS support compiled in
Mount Type: Samba CIFS

I do not seem to have a cron.log file, however here are some relevant
excerpts from my kern.log file:

Jun 17 12:50:05 localhost kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Jun 17 12:50:05 localhost kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code
= -13
Jun 17 12:50:17 localhost kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code
= -13
Jun 17 12:51:19 localhost kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code
= -13
Jun 17 12:56:59 localhost kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Jun 17 12:56:59 localhost kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code
= -13

My main question is why does this mount fail when ran in cron?