Re: How to configure exim4 to send mail by remote smarthost?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 03:17:35AM +0800, Xiaoyang Gu wrote:
> But when I sent non-local mail by exim4, I got such messages in the
> mainlog in /var/log/exim4:
> sorry, relay is not allowed.(#5.3.3) or  Client was not authenticated
>
> Who can tell me how to configure exim4 to use the public server to send mails?

Are there any other lines in this log file that might shed some light
on this?

My guess is that your setup is correct and you are trying to send an
email through that public server, but the public server isn't allowing
it, because it doesn't know you and therefor doesn't trust you. It
might think you are a spammer. Usually you have to use the SMTP server
that belongs to the ISP whose network you are connected to. Then the
system knows you and trusts you. In some cases it may help to fetch
mail and send mail together, if your email program can do that. But if
you try to send a mail through the mail server that belongs to your
current internet connection it should just work. If you are not sure
which mail server you should use, then ask your ISP.

HTH,

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill