How to configure exim4 to send mail by remote smarthost?

hi,
     I have install exim4-light-daemon in my box Debian Sid. I want
use smarthost sending my mails because I can't get an static IP
address. I have an email account on a public email server in my
campus. So I want to use this server as a smarthost.
     I used dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config and select "mail sent by
smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail".
    And what contained in file  passwd.client is:
### CONFDIR/passwd.client
#
# Format:
#targetmailserver.example:login:password
#
# default entry:
### *:bar:foo
smtp_address_of_public_mailserver:my_account_on_public_mailserver:my_passwd
But when I sent non-local mail by exim4, I got such messages in the
mainlog in /var/log/exim4:
sorry, relay is not allowed.(#5.3.3) or  Client was not authenticated

Who can tell me how to configure exim4 to use the public server to send mails?

Thanks a lot.

                 xiaoyang*