Re: dpkg and apt

Hi,

it's normal behavior: 'dpkg -l' shows the installed packages. If you
want to know which packages are available, you should use apt-cache.
I generally use 'apt-cache search <one or more words>'.
Then you can have a look at the found packages using 'apt-cache show
<package-name>', and at last install it using 'apt-get install
<package-name>'.

Hope this helps, Eric

Arthur B Olsen wrote:
Just installed debian 3.1 and i have a strange problem. I've had it once before, but it dissapeared by it self.
Or maby i  fixed it without knowing what i was doing.

A dpkg -l shows only a list of installed packages. But i can use apt-get install package, when i know what the package is called.
Then it shows up in dpkg -l.

Does anyone know why this is so?

arthur