Re: dpkg and apt

* Arthur B Olsen <maillists@teletech.fo> [050619 14:01]:

> Just installed debian 3.1 and i have a strange problem. I've had it
> once before, but it dissapeared by it self.

Sorry, but what exactly is your problem?

> A dpkg -l shows only a list of installed packages. But i can use
> apt-get install package, when i know what the package is called.
> Then it shows up in dpkg -l.
>
> Does anyone know why this is so?

It's the normal behaviour of dpkg.  Without any furhter parameter "dpkg -l"
which just lists packages which have still files installed (meaning
currently installed and removed unpurged packages).

If you would like to list more, use e.g. "dpkg -l \*" or simpy use
"apt-cache search foo bar" to search for packages.

However yoy might want to use a high level package management tool like
aptitude or synaptic.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--