Re: i need space in /root partition

j j <jj6419@gmail.com> wrote:

well then i can install everything in /home/nwn and symlink it usr/local/nwn.

On 6/18/05, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

j j wrote:

I am running out of HD space on my root partition (7GB). i have a
/home partition (30GB) and a huge unpartition section to be used as
needed(100GB).

In the future, you might consider partitioning your drive into more
partitions, instead of having everything on root. (Of course, like all
things, there are pros and cons; so I'm just saying "consider".)

If I were you, I'd just use part of the unpartitioned space to create a
new partition for /usr/local, then mount that partition temporarily as
something like /tempspace, mv all of /usr/local to /tempspace (not copy,
'cause you want to free that space), unmount both /tempspace and
/usr/local, then remount /usr/local where on the newly populated partition.

Alternatively, you can just create an "nwn" directory on the
unpartitioned space, then create a symlink to it under /usr/local.

Installing evewrything under /home/nwn will only solve the problem temporarily. If you have used all but 53MB of 7GB in your / partition (which contains everything except /home) then you are likely to run into this problem again, soon. Even if you are installing things into /usr/local (or /home/local, with symlinks) you may need libraries which will want to be in /lib, or /usr/lib, and you are going to hit the wall, again. If /usr/local is already full of other large programs, then by making a new partition with about twice the space (or more) currently taken up by /usr/local and moving everything to it, as Kent suggested, you will have space for this program, and others in the future. You might also want to consider doingh this for ALL of /usr, instead of just /usr/local. You are lucky. You have LOTS of unpartitioned space to work with, so creating a new partition, moving files to it, and remounting it in place of all the files in / will save you lots of space, with a minimum of effort. If you didn't have that extra 100GB it would be different, but you have room to EASILY do things correctly, without cluttering up you filesystem with unnecessary symlinks.

NOTE: You might also want to consider making an extended partition with all of your remaining space and use a logical partition within that for /usr, or /usr/local. That way, if you decicde to do this for other partitions, later, you wont run out of space in ypur partition table.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com