Re: X session startup/shutdown scripts?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:04:28AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     I am using GDM and have need for some things to start up and shut down
> based on me logging into/out of my X session.  I've done a basic check of
> documentation but unless I am missing some DEEP MAGIC I didn't find anything
> too fit the bill.  I figured I'd ask here before I cracked open my Python book
> to solve it that way.  :D

Maybe you've already opened your Python book by now... :)
Anyhow, there are usually various related files below
/etc/<display-manager>/.  gdm(8) states that

       "... When a user logs in, gdm first attempts
       /etc/gdm/PreSession/display (or /etc/gdm/PreSes­
       sion/Default), and then one of the sessions in
       /etc/gdm/Sessions. When the session has completed, gdm
       attempts to run /etc/gdm/PostSession/display, or
       /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default. Of all these files, only the
       /etc/gdm/Sessions one is required to exist."

Have you played around with these already?

Almut