X session startup/shutdown scripts?

    I am using GDM and have need for some things to start up and shut down
based on me logging into/out of my X session.  I've done a basic check of
documentation but unless I am missing some DEEP MAGIC I didn't find anything
too fit the bill.  I figured I'd ask here before I cracked open my Python book
to solve it that way.  :D