stopping ssh attacks

I have been getting a huge number of attempts to log into my box via ssh
which fail with invalid username entrys in the logs. Is there already a
package which will let me look through the logs and dynamically add
iptables rules to drop anything from these scanning addresses after
something like 3 attempts. I know I can set up hosts.allow and
hosts.deny to only allow ssh in from particular ip's, but I'd rather not
do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thomas Stivers	e-mail: stivers_t@tomass.dyndns.org