Re: SATA and RAID5 software

Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:10:13AM -0400, Tom Vier wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:44:32PM +0200, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
>> > build RAID5 software onto 4 SATA HD (mother board ASUS P5GD1) but I
>>
>> raid 5 often isn't the best choice. checkout this link:
>>
>> http://www.baarf.com/
>
> I would certainly agree that if you need the redundancy and don't
> mind buying N disks to get N/2 disks of capacity then RAID10 is the
> answer.
>
> However in an environment where writes are quite rare and there
> isn't a big budget, I don't really see a problem with RAID5 as long
> as the limitations are known.

Concerning that the OP wants to use it for Backup PC, I would certainly
expect quite a high ratio of writes where RAID5 is quite bad.

To the OP: does 200GB difference (4 x 200 GB RAID5 gives ca. 600GB of data,
mirror gives 400GB) means a lot to you? If the anwer is no, RAID 1+0 is
better for you, if the answer is yes, buy larger disks and go to RAID 1+0
:-)

If you have a hardware raid card, than the above doesn't really matter that
much.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer