Re: SATA and RAID5 software

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:10:13AM -0400, Tom Vier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:44:32PM +0200, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
> > build RAID5 software onto 4 SATA HD (mother board ASUS P5GD1) but I
>
> raid 5 often isn't the best choice. checkout this link:
>
> http://www.baarf.com/

I would certainly agree that if you need the redundancy and don't
mind buying N disks to get N/2 disks of capacity then RAID10 is the
answer.

However in an environment where writes are quite rare and there
isn't a big budget, I don't really see a problem with RAID5 as long
as the limitations are known.

RAID 5's level of redundancy is still infinitely better than not
using a redundant RAID config at all.

http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt linked from
the above site does explain it well.