Re: SATA and RAID5 software

On 6/17/05, Dragan Cvetkovic <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> writes:

> >> raid 5 often isn't the best choice. checkout this link:
> >>
> >> http://www.baarf.com/
> >
> > I would certainly agree that if you need the redundancy and don't
> > mind buying N disks to get N/2 disks of capacity then RAID10 is the
> > answer.
> >
> > However in an environment where writes are quite rare and there
> > isn't a big budget, I don't really see a problem with RAID5 as long
> > as the limitations are known.
> >

> Concerning that the OP wants to use it for Backup PC, I would certainly
> expect quite a high ratio of writes where RAID5 is quite bad.
>
> To the OP: does 200GB difference (4 x 200 GB RAID5 gives ca. 600GB of data,
> mirror gives 400GB) means a lot to you? If the anwer is no, RAID 1+0 is
> better for you, if the answer is yes, buy larger disks and go to RAID 1+0
> :-)
>
> If you have a hardware raid card, than the above doesn't really matter that
> much.

I have chosen RAID5 because I need about 900GB but I have low budget.
My configuration have 4 SATA disk mounted on ASUS P5GD1 without SATA
RAID controller. Intel chiset provided onto ASUS motherboards in
acconding with http://linux.yyz.us/sata/ it isn't  harware RAID but
"It is software RAID, provided by the BIOS on the card."

I'm skipping RAID HARDWARE for RAID SOFTWARE for two reasons: 1)
Backups can be made slowly, because it happen on night time. 2) I have
more trust into RAID HOWTO that into bios features.

And now... true theme of this post. I have NOT previous experience
about SATA and RAID5 SW, theorically It isn't problem, but... can U
reassure me about this questions? It driving me crazy!

Thx!