Re: how chk memory for printers

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:46:22PM +0100, michael wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 13:35 +0200, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> > Does CUPS care ? Do you print using Postscript or PCL ?
>
> Well I'm no printer guru...
>
> I use PS so I guess CUPS just bangs each page in one go to the printer
> so then the answer to your first Q would be 'no'... but as I said I'm no
> expert (and am wondering why WinXP has a memory setting for the
> printer...)

Try configuring CUPS to use PCL. My experience is that the printer CPU
is much slower at parsing PS than ghostscript on a modern PC. I don't
know where to do this in the CUPS config, since I use lpr myself.

I think the memory setting in Windows is to reduce the resolution if the
driver thinks the document might not fit in the printer RAM at the
normal resolution. The effect of more memory in printing from linux is
that some (complex, high resolution) pages print at all instead of just
printing an error message, although I guess that with 16MB that would
not be a problem (it was with 4 or 8)

Frank