Re: Inkscape (and others) make debian freeze

Le mercredi 15 juin 2005 à 01:22 +0800, Emile Kroeger a écrit :
> (oops, accidental single-user reply ... damn gmail !)
>
> > Looks like inkscape leaks memory too fast ... then your swap fills (your
> > machine becomes slower), and when filled you get into an OOM (out of
> > memory) situation, and your poor kernel tries hard to recover ... :(
> >
> > When inkscape is killed, gnome still has to come out of swap space by
> > pieces ...
> >
> > > What I've been doing is a) avoiding inkscape
> >
> > especially when there is sodipodi available ...
>
> I don't think the problem's with inkscape, since
>
> a) inkscape is a relatively stable and mature program (at least, I
> haven't found any other accounts of this kind of stuff on the 'net)

a) ahem, is there really something like a stable and mature C++
program ? ok I'm only half-joking. With all its matureness, it could
still have a few weak spots (it's a complex program after all) and leak
memory.

b) remember, you are using the debian package, this could differ
slightly from other instances of inkscape you tried before

c) I suspect a mem leak because of the symptoms you described (asphyxia
of your system)

> b) I used to get the same problem with mozilla and firefox (hmm, but
> now that I remember, I think it mainly happened on pages with Java in
> them, I'm not quite sure)

maybe you experienced faulty builds of those

> It probably *is* some kind of memory leak, but I don't think an
> Inkscape bug is the main cause :-P

could be in the libs inkscape uses, off course, but since now inkscape
is the only culprit ...

(also, please, don't CC me, I'm reading this list)

the system manager.

www.clearswift.com