Re: Inkscape (and others) make debian freeze

Le mercredi 15 juin 2005 à 00:54 +0800, Emile Kroeger a écrit :
> Um, I'm not sure it's the right place to ask this, but ...
>
> Inkscape regularly makes debian freeze : It slows down, then becomes
> nonresponsive and then, after a *long* wait (20 minutes ?), it closes
> inkscape, and all's abck to normal. When it's frozen, Gnome refreshes
> very slowly (if at all, often it's all black), and even the terminal is
> slow - too slow for me to log in, it times out before asking for my
> password. Often, all I can do is physically reboot the machine, which
> is ungood.

Looks like inkscape leaks memory too fast ... then your swap fills (your
machine becomes slower), and when filled you get into an OOM (out of
memory) situation, and your poor kernel tries hard to recover ... :(

When inkscape is killed, gnome still has to come out of swap space by
pieces ...

My guesses.

Go search for rlimit, that could help.

> What I've been doing is a) avoiding inkscape

especially when there is sodipodi available ...

>  and b) when i use
> inkscape, have a root terminal already open. If anything shows sign of
> slowing down, I immediatly switch to it and "killall inkscape". That
> works, but isn't very elegant.
>
> I used to get this problem with mozilla and firefox (now that I don't
> use that machine for the web anymore, I don't know if it happens) -
> exactly the same symptoms, so the problem isn't in inkscape. I don't
> think I had it with any other programs.
>
> Um, I have Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (I get mostly "testing" from the
> repository - is that a good idea ?), gnome 2.8.3 ...
>
> I googled a bit but didn't find anything too similar (but them, I'm not
> sure what to google for)
>
> I would be grateful for any help or information ! This is a pain in the
> neck :-P
>
> Emile

the system manager.

www.clearswift.com