Re: resolvconf w/ dhcpd -> /etc/hosts not working

On 6/12/05, LeVA <leva@az.isten.hu> wrote:
Hi!

I'm using a dhcp3 client with resolvconf configuration. The ip updating and
name server configuration works fine, but I can not use the /etc/hosts file.
For example if I set this up in /etc/hosts:

192.168.0.1    server.example.org   server

That's ok

Then typing 'host server` will end up with the error:

That's normal beacause the host command will use the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
This will not mean that the other services/commands/programs will not work...
try:
#telnet server <port>
or even better:
#ping server
you will see that your pc is going to the correct IP / server you specified in /etc/hosts

Nameserver not responding
server.example.org A record not found, try again

What do I have to configure to make the dns lookups first read from
the /etc/hosts file and after that the nameservers.

My /etc/host.conf looks like this:

order hosts,bind
multi on

Thanks!