Re: Inkscape (and others) make debian freeze

(oops, accidental single-user reply ... damn gmail !)

> Looks like inkscape leaks memory too fast ... then your swap fills (your
> machine becomes slower), and when filled you get into an OOM (out of
> memory) situation, and your poor kernel tries hard to recover ... :(
>
> When inkscape is killed, gnome still has to come out of swap space by
> pieces ...
>
> > What I've been doing is a) avoiding inkscape
>
> especially when there is sodipodi available ...

I don't think the problem's with inkscape, since

a) inkscape is a relatively stable and mature program (at least, I
haven't found any other accounts of this kind of stuff on the 'net)

b) I used to get the same problem with mozilla and firefox (hmm, but
now that I remember, I think it mainly happened on pages with Java in
them, I'm not quite sure)

It probably *is* some kind of memory leak, but I don't think an
Inkscape bug is the main cause :-P