Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:48:29PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> It's certainly pretty easy in Icewm. You just add a suitable line in the
> menu file and it then appears in the menu list when you press Ctrl-Esc.

    How are the lines added?  My previous example, only minorly exagerrated,
was based on IceWM.  ;)

> Example:

> prog "Mutt" xterm xterm -T Mutt -fg ivory -bg gray35 -fn 8x13bold -geom 120x45 -e mutt
> prog "News" xterm xterm -T News -fg gray35  -bg bisque -fn 9x15bold -geom 120x45 -e slrn
> prog "Mozilla"  mozilla mozilla

> These can be added or deleted on the fly and then activated by
> refreshing Icewm without stopping it.

    By IceWM or through the use of other applications?

    See, Thomas pointed to a web page where a WM's text file configuration was
defended because it was too complex to represent graphically.  Yet in the
above we have 5 items.

1: type of menu item (program or folder)
2: The name to attribute to that item
3: The icon to associate with the item
4: The application/program to run
5: The command lines to pass on

    Oddly enough XFCE and KDE can manage a graphic representation of those 5
items.  So, uh, where's the problem?  Why does it NEED to be in text?