Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:35:23PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> A Desktop Environment provides a full framework of integrated
> applications (such as a file manager, office applications, etc.) that
> all share the same theme.  Often common options applied to one program,
> will affect the other components, because they're related.

    Oddly enough when you said "share a common theme" my first reaction is
"that's a WM" as a WM controls the widgets on the application which is part of
the theme.

> A Window Manager, on the other hand, does just that -- it manages
> windows.  It doesn't dictate a file manager -- if you want one, you can
> use one.  There's no interoperability or common functions shared
> between programs, like there is with DEs.  It certainly provides a
> great deal more flexibility.

    So how does XFCE4 fail that test?  Let's see, I have 3 file managers to
choose from.  XFFM, Konqueror, Nautilus.  Those were configured automagically.
I could add more if I like, just like a WM.

    BTW, when trying to rid myself of Windows earlier this year I was using
Nautilus under KDE as installed by Ubuntu.

> So in that way, WMs are much faster, and most WMs are damn good at
> managing the windows mapped to them.

    Actually I've found WMs lacking at managing windows.  I consider starting
a window with the desired application part of good management.  Configuring
that portion for most WMs is a PITA.  The other portions they are equal to the
DEs like KDE/Gnome and the odd-man-out that is XFCE4.