Re: Disk Mirroring in Sarge howto

On (14/06/05 16:52), Siju George wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > cat /proc/mdstat
> >

> Thanks a lot Clive :-)
>
> #cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md2 : active raid1 hdd3[1]
>       4883648 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> md3 : active raid1 hda5[0] hdd5[1]
>       489856 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md4 : active raid1 hda6[0] hdd6[1]
>       1951744 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md5 : active raid1 hda7[0] hdd7[1]
>       2931712 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md6 : active raid1 hda8[0] hdd8[1]
>       2931712 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md7 : active raid1 hda9[0] hdd9[1]
>       23486912 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md1 : active raid1 hda2[0] hdd2[1]
>       1951808 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md0 : active raid1 hda1[0] hdd1[1]
>       489856 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> So Can I be sure that GRUB was installed on bot hda abd hdd???
>
> If I remove one disk will the other still work???

Hi Siju

which is your /boot partition... md2 (hdd3)?  In which case you need to do
something like:

mdadm --add hda3 (to md2 .... I forget the syntax but it should be in
those reference links I posted or man mdadm.  However, I think I also
read in one of those that it is better to install the /boot partition
directly to the additional drive before adding it to the raid array.
Have a look through the references but I think Roberto suggested this to
you or someone else doing raid currently.

There was a post from Alvin in the last 6months which gave a pretty
thorough run down on how to test your raid setup; it involved yanking
one disk and pulling the power supply ;)  worth searching the archive
for .... try in google:

site:lists.debian.org debian-user alvin raid 2005 test

.... brings up 33 entries;)

Regards

Clive

--