Re: Disk Mirroring in Sarge howto

On 6/14/05, Aurélien Campéas <aurelien.campeas@uni.lu> wrote:
> Le mardi 14 juin 2005 à 09:27 +0530, Siju George a écrit :

> > > Can you give more details about what's going on ? Without much, nobody
> > > will be able to help.
> > >

> > Thankyou so much Aurélien for responding!
>
> Note that I know next to nothing wrt RAID & Debian. But you need to
> explain your concerns better.
>

> > I have two hard disks 40 GB each! I want to have RAID 1 including the
> > / partition and boot loader. ie if one hard disk goes down I should be
> > able to boot from the other one.
> >
> > How do I configure it with the installer??
> >
> > I want to have the following partitions in both the hard disk
> >
> > / - 500 MB - Primary
> > swap - 2 GB - Primary
> > /usr - 5 GB - Primary
> > /home - 500 MB - Logical
> > /tmp - 5 GB - Logical
> > /var/log - 5 GB -logical
> > /var - rest of the disk - logical
>
> Do you *really* need to split hairs like that ? Do you know the
> drawbacks of segmenting your hard drives into so many partitions vs. the
> supposed benefits ?
>

> > I prefer ext3 or ReiserFS for file systems.
>
> I now prefer reiserfs over ext3.
>

> > How should I go about it??? is it possible to configure these
> > partitions in the first hard disk and finish the install and then
> > later do the mirroring?
>
> I suspect not, but again, I didn't try even once ...
>
> >  or is it possible to do the mirroring also
> > during the install???
>
> See Alvin's answer.
>
> Check by yourself : just go ahead and try RAID from the installer ! And
> then tell us how it went :)

Alright friend :-)

I just completed it successfully!

I first created identical partitions in each hard disk and marked them
as RAID Physical volumes. The I created the RAID devices and then
specified mount points and ReiserFS :-)

It worked al right and easy but when I installed the boot loader I
think it got installed only on the hd0 and not on hd1!!!

how do I verify this???

and how can  testif the RAID is woring fine???

Thankyou so much

Kind Regards

Siju