Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 06:25:08AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> But neither XFCE nor KDE are window managers. They are desktop
> environments. This is a common misconception among people discussing
> "graphical environments" for X.

    Both incorporate the functionality of WMs into them.  Personoal preference
is that a "pure" WM is too barebones.  I never quite understood the logic
behind requiring command line tools and text files to configure a graphical
environment.

    Also calling XFCE a desktop environment is pushing it a little.  It
certainly does not have the integration of KDE or GNOME and there's very
little that goes on the desktop.  It has a panel/kicker (choose your idiom)
and a task switcher.  Both of which can be shut off and both of which can be
added to a "pure" WM.