Re: Disk Mirroring in Sarge howto

Le mardi 14 juin 2005 à 09:27 +0530, Siju George a écrit :
> On 6/13/05, Aurélien Campéas <aurelien.campeas@uni.lu> wrote:
> > Le lundi 13 juin 2005 à 12:58 +0530, Siju George a écrit :
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I would like to implement Disk mirroring ( Raid1 ) in Debian Sarge. Is
> > > it possible to configure it while installation if I have both hard
> > > disks attached??
> > >
> > > Could someone please tell me what is the easiest way ( steps ) to get
> > > this done???
> > >
> > > I hope it will be easy because the Installer has an option to
> > > configure software RAID but I a not able to get doing it successfully
> > > :-(
> >
> > Can you give more details about what's going on ? Without much, nobody
> > will be able to help.
> >

> Thankyou so much Aurélien for responding!

Note that I know next to nothing wrt RAID & Debian. But you need to
explain your concerns better.

> I have two hard disks 40 GB each! I want to have RAID 1 including the
> / partition and boot loader. ie if one hard disk goes down I should be
> able to boot from the other one.
>
> How do I configure it with the installer??
>
> I want to have the following partitions in both the hard disk
>
> / - 500 MB - Primary
> swap - 2 GB - Primary
> /usr - 5 GB - Primary
> /home - 500 MB - Logical
> /tmp - 5 GB - Logical
> /var/log - 5 GB -logical
> /var - rest of the disk - logical

Do you *really* need to split hairs like that ? Do you know the
drawbacks of segmenting your hard drives into so many partitions vs. the
supposed benefits ?

> I prefer ext3 or ReiserFS for file systems.

I now prefer reiserfs over ext3.

> How should I go about it??? is it possible to configure these
> partitions in the first hard disk and finish the install and then
> later do the mirroring?

I suspect not, but again, I didn't try even once ...

>  or is it possible to do the mirroring also
> during the install???

See Alvin's answer.

Check by yourself : just go ahead and try RAID from the installer ! And
then tell us how it went :)

the system manager.

www.clearswift.com