Re: Request for window manager recommendations

michael@etalon.net:
> Quoting herminio@gmail.com:
>
> >A personal recommendation of your favourite window manager would be
> >much appreciated.
>
> My favorite has always been icewm.
> Very fast, and simple, but very configurable.

Agreed. I use it, too. What I like most about IceWM is, erm, it's
window managing capabilities! You can easily toggle fullscreen display
of any application (fullscreen, not only maximized), make it appear on
every desktop, make it appear in the tray and not in the regular window
list (where you Alt-Tab through) and so on. If you want that to be
permanent, you have to write it down in a config file but it's really
not that hard and you can restart IceWM without logging out.

Another advantage of IceWM is the "smart window placement" option. I
really hate how windows are placed in MS Windows (sometimes cascaded,
sometimes abritrary, sometimes the applications themselves remember
their position...) and some window managers for Linux do it alike
(Metacity, for example is really bad). IceWM always uses the position
for a new window with minimum overlap over other windows. I really miss
this feature when using other window managers.

Of course you can use IceWM completely with your keyboard. Many actions
are reached through well known Shortcuts like Alt-F4 (close window),
Alt-Tab or Alt-Space (for window menu - if you cannot remember the
shortcut you wanted to use). It should even be easy to use for windows
converts.

I really tried using other window managers in the last approx. 4 years,
but I always returned to IceWM. Currently I am trying to use it in
conjunction with Gnome, but Gnome makes the login process so slow that I
will probably ditch it again.

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree]   [Disagree]