On the use of deborphan (was: Re: woody->sarge failed: out pf disk space)

On 06/12/05 22:43, Tom Allison wrote:
A thousand pardons.
It found version 10 that was replaced by version 11.
I was looking at version 11 being in use, not 10.

You're right, I'm wrong.
Sorry for the waste in bandwidth.

No problems. BTW, here is the command that I use with deborphan:

apt-get --purge remove `deborphan --guess-all | grep -v libc6-i686`

The libc6-i686 is a package that I want to keep (until, perhaps, when it is included in libc6 --- I don't know if this will happen at all, anyway).

If you prefer, you can use "aptitude purge" where I use "apt-get --purge remove".

Since I use apt-move to keep a copy of the packages that I download locally (in a way suitable for sharing with friends), I don't fear loosing any package.

And since we are talking about keeping everything in order, I think that using the package cruft will help you see where other suspicious files are.

And another handy tool for keeping your systems in shape is wajig, in particular when the size option is used. It gives you a hint of which packages are consuming how much space in your filesystems.

BTW, wajig is a frontend to APT and it calls deborphan and other handy utilities without you having to memorize a thousand commands and options. Worth seeing just to know if you want it or not, IMVHO.

Hope this helps, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/