Re: Request for window manager recommendations

on Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 03:38:04PM -0700, herminio@gmail.com (herminio@gmail.com) wrote:
> Have just finished installing sarge (am a first-time debian user, very
> impressed), and now am chosing a window manager. I have fond memories
> of using a little-known WM called VTWM on SunOS, but that was almost 10
> years ago now. I'm guessing the are other, at least equally noteworthy
> WM's around.

vtwm's still around.

You can get a general sense of various WMs at the Window Managers for X
page:

    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

> Not so keen on KDE/GNOME because as I understand they are somewhat
> CPU-intensive and take longer to load than the traditional WMs.

My own personal preference, which may have nothing to do with yours, is
WindowMaker:  fast, light, configurable, unobtrusive, stable.  GNOME/KDE
are generally too big and fussy for me.

For "complete" desktop environments, I've found XFCE4 to be pretty
sweet.

My _recommendation_ is that you install and try a few WMs.  It's trivial
to install a WM via aptitude.  And you can either run these on their own
X session or via Xnest:

   Xnest :1 1024x768
   <window-manager-of-choice> -display :1

...etc.

Peace.

  Information is not power after all: Old-fashioned power is power. If you
  aren't big industry or government, you have very little power. Once they've
  hacked the electronic voting system, you'll have no power at all.
  - Robert X. Cringely