Re: Newbie cannot start graphical desktop

--- Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 11 June 2005 11:45 pm, j Mak wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just installed Sarge and everything went ok.
> but
> > when i log in, there is no graphical interface
> appears
> > anywhere only the command line. How can i start
> gnome
> > or kde or any other grahical desktop.
> >
> > Thanks alot
> >
> > jozsefmak

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com
>
> Login and run "startx", or look for kdm, xdm, or gdm
> in /etc/init.d and run
> "/etc/init.d/(x,k, or g)dm start", replacing as
> necessary. You should be able
> to startx as a regular user, but you will have to
> "su" to run the display
> manager.
>
> However, if an environment didn't start
> automatically, it's likely that you
> need to install one; "apt-get install gnome gdm" or
> "apt-get install kde kdm"
> as root should do the trick.

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the suggestions. I installed kde form the
cd because from some reasons the installer didn't
install any graphical environment at first. The
installation went fine. After installing kde I
rebooted the computer. And guess what? I still doesn't
have any graphical interface.
I logged in and run /etc/init.d/kdm start as you
suggested. But I got the message: Starting K Display
manager kdm . And the prompt reappears. So I am back
to square one. I have no graphical desktop still.

What to do next?

On a related note, could anyone point me to some
manual that explain how to install graphical desktop?
I already read the installation instruction but in
that there is no mentioning about graphic desktop
installation.

Thanks a lot

jozsefmak