Re: Newbie cannot start graphical desktop

--- j Mak <joz_mak@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 11 June 2005 11:45 pm, j Mak wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just installed Sarge and everything went
> ok.
> > but
> > > when i log in, there is no graphical interface
> > appears
> > > anywhere only the command line. How can i start
> > gnome
> > > or kde or any other grahical desktop.
> > >
> > > Thanks alot
> > >
> > > jozsefmak

> > protection around
> > > http://mail.yahoo.com
> >
> > Login and run "startx", or look for kdm, xdm, or
> gdm
> > in /etc/init.d and run
> > "/etc/init.d/(x,k, or g)dm start", replacing as
> > necessary. You should be able
> > to startx as a regular user, but you will have to
> > "su" to run the display
> > manager.
> >
> > However, if an environment didn't start
> > automatically, it's likely that you
> > need to install one; "apt-get install gnome gdm"
> or
> > "apt-get install kde kdm"
> > as root should do the trick.
>
> Hi Ryan
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I installed kde form the
> cd because from some reasons the installer didn't
> install any graphical environment at first. The
> installation went fine. After installing kde I
> rebooted the computer. And guess what? I still
> doesn't
> have any graphical interface.
> I logged in and run /etc/init.d/kdm start as you
> suggested. But I got the message: Starting K Display
> manager kdm . And the prompt reappears. So I am back
> to square one. I have no graphical desktop still.
>
> What to do next?
>
> On a related note, could anyone point me to some
> manual that explain how to install graphical
> desktop?
> I already read the installation instruction but in
> that there is no mentioning about graphic desktop
> installation.

In my previous email I forgot to mention that when i
run startx i get the following message:

No such file or directory.
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to
connect to x server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

Tanks for helping

jozsefmak